Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Is McCarren Park scary?

Started by trinityparent
about 15 years ago
Discussion about
Apts in that hideous new construction on McCarren Park is nicer inside than you'd think, but I hear conflicting things about the park. Is it dangerous, or only like Central Park is dangerous - ie, scary to non-city-dwellers?
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

trinityparent, in my opinion it's very safe. I live on the northside and have to walk through the park to get to the girlfriend in Greenpoint (as does she to get to my place). I've never had a problem, day or night. There's almost always a lot of activity around the park, whether it's for sports, strollers, bike riding, or the dog run. There are incredibly bright stadium lights that are on late - they were still on at 11:15 this past Friday night. That said, as anywhere in the city, it's always a good idea to keep your head up and not flash iPods or other expensive gadgets ostentatiously.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

TP,

McCarren is the new Central Park if you don't want to walk through MP you can take the B61 or B43 Buses.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 80sMan
about 15 years ago

There are three parts of McCarren Park:
1)blacktop and tennis courts. The tennis courts are public although usually dominated by the Poles. The blacktop is used for baseball and touch football by kids and adults alike as well as for gym class by the students of Automotive tech. I wouldn't walk through this part at night unless you are brave, there are few lights, it's out of the way and deserted.

2)The baseball diamond in the middle section are overrun by hipsters playing kickball (yes, the same game you played in grammar school, those ever-so-retro hipsters). They seem to get a sound permit every year to blast ironic music at 4,000 Dbs. Around the perimeter of the middle section you can BBQ regardless of the warnings. Every Polish, Mexican and Hipster family/group does it with impunity. The Northeast corner is reserved fro drunk Poles who take off their shirts fall pass out on the grass and sometimes fight but only with each other. The Northwest corner is reserved for Mexican families BBQ'ing and playing volleyball. There is also a farmer's market on some Sundays. The bathroom are open during the day and are never pleasant. If you walk down Bedford between McCarren parts 1&2 you will have no problems as there are busses and tons of other folks making the trek.

3)the last portion, near the condos, has an excellent running track, handball and bocce courts. This is the calmest part of McCarren. Well organized soccer and football leagues operate here. A couple of vending carts sell mexican food which isn't bad. This part of the park is flooded with stadium quality lights well into the night so I never feel unsafe walking around here.

Back in '04/'05 a lot of people I knew were priced out of Manhattan and moved to Williamsburg/Greenpoint so I spend a fair amount of time in their neighborhood. The park isn't dangerous. Only annoying as the hipsters treat it like a college quad.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

80sMan, great, colorful recap. I've seen the Poles yell at each other incomprehensibly on the tennis courts, though they haven't ever come to blows while I was there. Highly entertaining. I'm also not sure those are just Mexican families - strong Puerto Rican community in the area too.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by trinityparent
about 15 years ago

Thanks all. The lights/noise comments are interesting too. If I buy/rent an apartment with a view of the park, will I be blasted all night by stadium lights and music?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 80sMan
about 15 years ago

McCarren park is closed for renovations. It's going to be a real pool so no more music events. The music venue is moving to East River State Park on Kent, or so I've been told. The stadium lights are pretty bright. If there's a night soccer league game or other event going on, it's as bright as day.

I had dinner with fiends with a newborn who live around the park. They rent and are happy they didn't buy because they are sick of the ironic hipsters and surly polish. I think the neighborhood is a great place for people who think college ends at 35.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 80sMan
about 15 years ago

^^I mean McCarren pool is closed for renovations

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

He will forever troll hypocritcally.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

trinityparent, it's definitely something to consider. Which floor you're on would impact how much noise you'd hear, though I would ask to view the units at night and during a warm weekend afternoon to get a sense of what you'd be dealing with. I know some residents have felt the lights were shining too brightly into their apartments, but I'd guess it's case-by-case.

As 80sMan said, the pool is closed until at least next year, and concerts have moved to the East River park (NYT confirmed this a week or so ago); they're also looking to get funding for classical and opera concerts, which I take as a good sign that hipster influence is waning here.

mutombo, unintentionally hilarious as always.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

I live on the Southside but love coming up to the park when it's nice out. I never get tired of walking across to the Northside and into Greenpoint. There's such a great diversity of people living in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area, and for us that's the charm. As a native New Yorker who has lived all over the place, there's something really nice about coming back to a neighborhood that still has the feel of the neighborhood I remember as a kid, recent gentrification notwithstanding. Here's to another four years of Bloomberg. I think he will continue to ensure the area is well invested in.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by the_gentrifier
about 15 years ago

I live on the first floor of one of the condos on McCarren Park. I find the area incredibly safe, although it can be loud at night on the weekends.. especially when the bars close. The lights on the track are not bad, unless you keep your curtains open at night. I have also never had an issue walking to and from the subway (Bedford L stop) late at night, and I am a 20 something female, although it is pretty dark and empty.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago
Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alanhart
about 15 years ago

The scary thing about McCarren Park is that it's really flat. And that it's divided up by about 18 roads that run through it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mapancohuma
about 15 years ago

80sMan, could you use the words 'ironic' and 'hipster' any more repetitively? And 'hipster influence'? I don't understand what angers people so much about other people who wear tight jeans. Envy, maybe, from people who are no longer young? Not quite sure.

Anyway, McCarren Park is pretty safe at all hours - it's very well lit and receives heavy use from the community - and as another commenter mentioned, there's regular north-south mass transit options to get from Williamsburg to Greenpoint or vice versa. In the summer the park is particularly festive: Everyone sits on blankets, sunbathes, throws frisbees, and looks amazing while doing it. Walking from one end to the other is like a free fashion show. (Though I think 80sMan would find a reason to disapprove.)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

Thanks for that link Mutombonyc. I'm sure in your in mind it has some pertinence. For someone who doesn't like Williamsburg, you sure are obsessed with not missing a chance to post about it.

Anyway, there are a number of projects that have been funded and will continue to move forward. The McCarren Pool rehabilitation is probably one of the most exciting ones, especially if you have a family and are living in the area. I do hope the concerts move down to the waterfront, because they are obviously going to be missed. The waterfront park, although mostly a concrete jungle, is still a great patch of open space with incredible views. The completed esplanade down on the Southside is also a great place to chill out on a warm, sunny day. Also look for continued improvements around the schools system and new day care and health care facilities.

While it's true the budget crunch is surely going to limit how much more immediate investing gets done in the area, long term it's clear that Williamsburg will continue to develop nicely. It's close proximity to Manhattan will also make a draw. And soon, the dropping prices on rentals and new condos will find its sweet spot and lure more 30somethings and families over the river. I've even spoken with several Hasidim who have come around to the fact that the gentrification of recent years has led to great improvements from infrastructure to police presence.

The people who know, know. The people who don't, well, they will continue to troll the discussions with their standard negativity.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

When did I say I don't like W'Burg?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

That link pertains to the ALL of NYC and not just in my mind. W'Burg will develop nicely with no one to occupy it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alanhart
about 15 years ago

Nobody needs to occupy Villyboig ... the renovated pool will draw people from lots of other neighborhoods, as large public swimming pools in NY always do. From East New York, Brownsville, Rikers Island, This Houses and That Houses, that sort of thing.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

Mutombonyc, I'm happy to try to have a serious conversation with you with minimal sarcasm if you're up for it. The idea that Williamsburg is going to be "unoccupied" is just silly. You're obviously referring to the glut of inventory in the area, which I agree is staggering and problematic given the state of the economy. The developers continue to be greedy in their reluctance to slash prices, but they'll eventually do so. Mortgage rates are at a historic low, and there are still very gainfully employed people out there interested in new digs, whether to rent or to buy, and especially if they are starting families. The prices will continue to come down significantly and eventually hook with up with demand. This is not some outpost in the middle of nowheresville, Nevada. Let's try to be a little serious in having these conversations.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 80sMan
about 15 years ago

trinityparent, McCarren park is not that big. The nice, grassy part where you would want to spend a lazy saturday afternoon is generally very crowded. As mapancohuma points out, it's a like a big fashion show. More like a strip mall in the suburbs where boys and girls make a circuit, cruising each over and over again. That's great for some but not necessarily for everyone. If you go to GP/WB you'll find that everyone dresses the same but will vehemently protest their individuality. That, to me, is ironic.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by BklynNative
about 15 years ago

I really think the Hipster thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. The whole ironic Hipster thing was much more prevalent in Williamsburg/Greenpoint back in the mid-to-late 90s than it is today. While there's still no shortage of them in the area, I don't really find the ones who've chosen to stick around to be all that annoying. They don't bother anyone, unless of course their mere presence is enough to offend you. McCarren Park is small for the number of people it attracts, that much is true. But go early, find a spot, and make a day of it. It's a great park that has seen a lot of improvement since the wave of nearby construction has washed over Williamsburg.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

Don't worry about mutombo - he's a bit of an anti-WB troll, unfortunately (give him about 5 minutes before he posts about my supposed apartment value). You and I largely agree about the state of the area and its future. Yeah, there's a large supply of units, but suggesting that they'll sit empty forever is pretty misguided. They'll sell or be rented at some price because people actually do want to live here. And the condos overlooking the park will be fine, esp since those views are protected.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

I agree.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

No wor

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

Oops. Sorry about that.

No worries here, bjw2103. I don't begrudge anyone not liking Williamsburg, or in finding joy seeing people who tried to flip real estate in Williamsburg lose their shirts. That's all fair game, just like "dirty" hipsters, "bad" construction, "poor" aesthetic architectural design -- all the things people like to harp on ad naseum on the Brooklyn blogosphere. I'll be the first to admit Williamsburg is not for everyone. I just happen to really like living here and am not afraid to defend it.

Anyway, BklynNative has it pretty much right. Let's just hope the economy gets better regardless. If we can start crawling out of the hole this year, I imagine the conversation will be a lot more positive a year from now. At the end of the day, we're all in this together. As much as I hate greedy brokers and developers as much as anyone else, it's going to hurt everyone if the market doesn't correct itself and get back on same track of sanity.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

Stay classy.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

Totally agree. It's not for everyone, for sure, and there are definitely some negatives. I don't know how many people bought in WB with the intention to flip (only NSP/Edge strike me as buildings where people would do this, but not sure), but the vast majority of new residents I've spoken to have a lot of enthusiasm about the area, which is only normal when you move to a new neighborhood.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

"but suggesting that they'll sit empty forever is pretty misguided."

Who suggested they will sit empty forever?

"They'll sell or be rented at some price because people actually do want to live here. And the condos overlooking the park will be fine, esp since those views are protected."

Ppl do want to live in W'Burg but can't afford it and are unwilling to pay those high prices for a depreciating* asset. bjw2103, all is just fine in your neck of the woods which I disagree with.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

We didn't buy at the height of the bubble, but we didn't buy at the low end either. We have definitely lost some value in our apartment, and that's just the way it goes in a down economy. That said, we didn't move here with the intention of leaving any time soon and we do love our apartment. We also didn't overextend ourselves in buying something we couldn't afford, and that's a key element of staying above water in this market. Those who wish to be home owners definitely need to do their due diligence and be responsible in investing in something they can afford. I don't blame people for not wanting to buy new construction in Williamsburg right now. It's completely reasonable to expect that the current prices will drop over the next six months, maybe more depending on how long the recession slogs on. But I still believe Williamsburg is a good long-term investment for those who find the neighborhood appealing.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

Who is WE?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lovesWB
about 15 years ago

Me/my family.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

mutombonyc, you suggested they would sit empty: "W'Burg will develop nicely with no one to occupy it." I do agree that prices have to come down in the majority of cases if people want to sell now, but there's really no predicting exactly how this will play out. Amazingly, a building like 72 Berry seems to be doing very very well in this market (according to tina24hour, 10 signed contracts, 7 more out, 8 left, and they just started sales last month), but I think they're the exception. My point (and lovesWB's, I think) is that the neighborhood will be just fine. Schools included.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

Again, your keyword "forever".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

Well, it's semantics, but you said that "no one" will occupy it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ddvrom
about 15 years ago

80sman you are borderline racist and I dont really understand your contempt for "hipsters" (who I assume you lump anyone white, under 30 and living in north Brooklyn into). I don't undesrtand the difference between people enjoying and hanging out in the park and what you consider "hipsters treating it like a college quad."- perhaps if they had children you would find it acceptable? I dont undertsand the logic there.

Kickball is only going on as practice some evenings but the league meets on Sundays and get get a little rowdy but never even bordering on anything I'd call "dangerous." Most of the time it's local kids playing around hitting balls or boozey softball leagues.

The tennis courts require a fee to use and they check for it all the time. I think it's pretty easy to get use of them and cheap too but they are always busy especially on the weekends in the summer so it's not always easy to play.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mapancohuma
about 15 years ago

80sMan: I find it difficult to believe that anyone in Williamsburg has ever "vehemently protested their individuality" to you. BklynNative hit the nail on the head: "They don't bother anyone, unless of course their mere presence is enough to offend you." Usually people, you know, have to do or say something to me before I get offended.

I apologize if this is somewhat off-topic but Williamsburg gets a bad rap for no reason other than that the residents are fairly young and wear interesting clothing.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 80sMan
about 15 years ago

McCarren park is more of a picnic ground than a park. It's not in the same category as Central, Prospect, Riverside, Van Cortlandt, Fort Washington, etc... Those parks have little secret spaces you can use as an urban getaway.

It's nice for the GP/WB to have green space nearby but definitely very crowded during good weather weekends.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10022
about 15 years ago

"Yeah, there's a large supply of units, but suggesting that they'll sit empty forever is pretty misguided. They'll sell or be rented at some price because people actually do want to live here. "

There is obviously some equlibrium point, problem is...

1) its likely going to be way lower than many buyers are counting on
2) its going to take way too long to get there because not everyone in this town is accepting reality.
3) that second fact will probably cause even more pain than if things had corrected faster, because it will burn a lot of folks out on RE

Basically, this is what happened post 1987... and it took until 1991 for prices to stop falling.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

nyc10022,

bjw2103, should be the poster boy for hypocrisy and new construction W'Burg. He sounds like Mr. Mayor in that condescending voice "Everyone wants to be here".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

lovesWB,

"The idea that Williamsburg is going to be "unoccupied" is just silly."

Its not silly that new construction is unoccupied, its fact and supported by so. I don't care how many apts in new construction bldgs are "sold" they are not occupied. I agree with you on somethings but I don't agree with fantasy island prone imaginations. Currently, the world in a financial crisis and I know where you and bjw2103 hold mortgages so I know where the two of you stand.

bjw2103 and you, don't agree on too much as you admitted your property in W'Burg lost value and if you reside on the NS of W'Burg thats all I'm going to say.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

"bjw2103, should be the poster boy for hypocrisy and new construction W'Burg. He sounds like Mr. Mayor in that condescending voice "Everyone wants to be here"."

Actually mutombo, read above where I wrote "it's not for everyone." You are really good at making stuff up though.

"Its not silly that new construction is unoccupied, its fact and supported by so. I don't care how many apts in new construction bldgs are "sold" they are not occupied."

What is "so"? Are you saying that most/many sold units were bought by flippers? That they're just sitting vacant, not even rented out? I'd like to see some actual backup on this statement, otherwise it just rings completely hollow. And I do think lovesWB agree on quite a bit about the neighborhood, sorry.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by djradon
about 15 years ago

i think mutombonyc works for streeteasy. or if they don't pay him, they should.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jimstreeteasy
about 15 years ago

Sometimes I don't read the comments. I just know that if the sum total of of bjw2103 + alanhart + mutombonyc comments divided by the time elapsed since the original posting exceeds the magic ratio [I only reveal that to private subscribers] something is way wrong.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jimstreeteasy
about 15 years ago

Boys...don't come after me. I don't have your energy to thrust and parry.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

." I do agree that prices have to come down in the majority of cases if people want to sell now, but there's really no predicting exactly how this will play out.

If 20 homes condos, coops and houses in NS W'Burg sell for 250K and less this month will that effect the value of the neighborhood? If 30 foreclosures take place in W'Burg this month will this effect the value of the neighborhood? You quote Case Shiller but say you don't know how this will exactly play out in W'Burg but know how it will play out in Dumbo. Case Shiller predictions are coming to pass are you refuting data? I'm here and I'm telling you bjw2103, lovesWB and sellers at Schaefer Landing, The Edge & NSP admitted to losses and selling and attempting to sell at loss prices but you don't have an agenda where's the agreeance between you and lovesWB he admitted his property lost value and your property is teflon.

e.g. If NSP, The Edge, Gretsch and Schaefer Landing are 45% sold and I only see 17 lights on at night every night I don't care how much is "sold" what is sold is not occupied so flipping is in the equation but vacancy is reality. Last year a lot of new building were staged this year they are not staging buildings as all of NYC know these buildings are unoccupied to the extent they were planned to be. Supply Vs Demand the laws of nature will always prevail and relatively simple.

djradon, If I worked for SE I would be gainfully employed. Not a bad idea, Jim.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by YankeesMan
about 15 years ago

Just for the record, there are only 2-3 units in Schaefer Landing still held by the sponsor. The rest have been sold. There are a few active resales currently as well. There are a few units that are not occupied as renting tenants turn over, but it's not nearly as high a number as some have suggested.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by YankeesMan
about 15 years ago

Also, for the record - just about everyone's property has lost value. It's not just the folks you cite in Brooklyn.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

mutombonyc, oh, you're counting lights to determine occupancy? Hilarious.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

Not only lights but traffic and garbage in other words things human use. Is this not valid? You did not rebutt staging, why?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago
Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

1) Who cares about staging apartments?
2) Your link has nothing to do with McCarren.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

1) Staging apts is not revelant* to this housing crisis?
2) The link has to do with W'Burg oops its the SS of W'Burg so it don't pertain to you as you clearly state you live on the NS of W'Burg.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

Why do you insist during the housing boom there were no flippers?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10022
about 15 years ago

"Actually mutombo, read above where I wrote "it's not for everyone." You are really good at making stuff up though."

Actually, bjw just a couple weeks ago said DUMBO was a niche neighborhood and WB was a diverse neighborhood that appealed to a wide range of people.

Seems like yet another story change to fit his agenda... and a near perfect example of hypocrisy.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by wisco
about 15 years ago

spent most of the day at mccarren in the playground, and really wasn't scary! duh. it was packed with kids and mine had a blast.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

nyc10022,

According to bjw2103, Williamsburg is the Garden of Eden. Remember he holds a mortgage in W'Burg. The housing slump pertains to all of USA, NYS, NYC, BKLYN, W'Burg where there was a housing boom. I can't call alanhart or petrfitz hypocrites they are consistence for their cause maybe incorrect or fell short but they are not hypocrites.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

nyc10022,

bjw2103, has ainlessly said Dumbo was dead in the water but W'burg was not. I have pointed this out prior to your thread post.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

"Actually, bjw just a couple weeks ago said DUMBO was a niche neighborhood and WB was a diverse neighborhood that appealed to a wide range of people."

Really, you think that a neighborhood being diverse and saying that it's not for everyone is hypocritical? Yikes, what a stretch. The agenda is yours, brother. mutombo, I never said Dumbo was "dead in the water." Seriously, if you can't stand me this much, I suggest you just click the ignore button - it'll save you a lot of trouble. Unless you're just playing the troll.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

bjw2103,

OK, your exact words were not "dead in the water" but you basically said dumbo will hurt due of the glut of inventory and little too no demand for the inventory. As I told you before its fun messing with you and stop trying to take the easy way out by telling me/us to click the ignore button its no trouble here we troll as you troll but I/we do it with purpose unlike you. How was your holiday weekend?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

mutombo, thanks for being honest at least. I don't think I ever said Dumbo will be hurt due to a glut of inventory (find me the post if I did); if I did, I was mistaken - Dumbo is tiny, so a glut is less likely. My concern with it was that I see its appeal only to somewhat of a niche. Clicking ignore isn't the easy way out; I just suggested it because my posts really seem to bother you. Holiday was great - got to spend it with the family. Hope yours was good as well.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

Your post don't bother me but when gentrified neighborhoods are made out to be Disney Land giving all that's going on in this current economy it bothers me. As being from and still living in W'Burg I'm happy with a lot of the change minus a few bars. Having a glut of empty housing sit unoccupied and 4 overgrown adults living together making a decent salary bothers me. As you saw my post Kalahari Vs W'Burg when I compared the early 90's and prior (the turbulent years of NYC) to current I do not want to return to the turbulent years we have came along way as a city and ppl. Good your holiday was good. My holiday was good as well. I will continue to mess with you LOL.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

mutombo, I don't think anyplace is Disneyland - no place is perfect. But I do sincerely love the neighborhood and that's why I ended up choosing to live here. I only see the glut as a temporary problem - the demand is there, just not necessarily at the current asking prices, but these units will be occupied. Give it time. I don't know what you mean about "4 overgrown adults living together" - is this your current situation? With a decent salary, you can find your own place in the area, or at least upgrade to sharing with only one other person. All that said, I will continue to mess with you as well.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

I love the neighborhood and have lived in W'Burg for 31 years all of my life. I do see this housing crisis as a temporary problem but how long will this temporary problem last? I agree that demand and supply is there and will be occupied in due time. This is not my situation but pertains to ppl I know, 4 adults living in a 2-3 bedroom apt struggling to make ends meet we were not intended to live like this todays. When the correction is complete some ppl will be better off. I hate greed.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
about 15 years ago

mutombo, I expect it to take a couple years. It also depends how much more they plan on building in the near future (my guess is not much, given the state of things). I hear you on the difficulty of living in a share as an adult - I did it for quite a while in order to save up, and it does pan out in the end. I'm pretty confident that if you're patient and aggressive (those aren't mutually exclusive qualities), you'll find a great place you can afford. I truly hope that does work out for you and anyone else who's struggling to get there.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mutombonyc
about 15 years ago

I have a place I can afford and I don't live with any other adults such as roommates. I don't want to appear joyous because property value is declining. My sister purchased during the ballon she loves her place but hates that her property value has declined. The gov't should assist ppl in this situation.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by JB32
almost 11 years ago

This post was last updated 4 yrs ago! Just wondering what people think of McCarren park today...is it scary? Is it safe? What about the surroundings by the pool (SE corner)...that area and south towards BQE still seems dodgy...comments?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by greensdale
almost 11 years ago

Aboutready moved to the area.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bjw2103
almost 11 years ago

Still feel the same way I did 4 years ago. That area is safe. mutombo's still counting lights.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by greensdale
almost 11 years ago

Congratulations on being a pioneer and paving the way for Aboutready.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by moxieland
almost 11 years ago

I'm still looking for the NS Williamsburg house or condo selling for under 250k. When is that happening?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by JB32
almost 11 years ago

This was just last year: http://gothamist.com/2012/07/11/teen_brutally_beaten_stabbed_while.php That's why I was asking...

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by moxieland
almost 11 years ago

Should probably stay away from Central Park and that awful area of CPW/W72nd st as well then.

http://gothamist.com/2012/09/12/elderly_woman_sexually_assaulted_in.php

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by JB32
almost 11 years ago

Moxie: So...that comparison makes McCarren park safe? You being so defensive suggests you must be one of those residents stuck living the nightmare of being next to the sketchy section of the park. Be safe!!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Ottawanyc
almost 11 years ago

I had never seen that. It is a massive park, so am sure there are some parts that are a bit less comfortable to walk around. This is weird though. That area of the park at 9 pm on a Friday night would have loads of people walking around. I would still have zero hesitancy walking in the area described even at 2 am or whatever. If you went to the track any night in the summer you could expect to see a few hundred people exercising/playing soccer.

Any case, I could see where this would be scary if this is all you know, but this is strange. I can think of one part of the park where a bunch of skids assemble at night that you might want to avoid up near greenpoint, but no more than you would want to avoid that one bit of Washington Square park.

Just come for a walk any night and you'll see for yourself.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by moxieland
almost 11 years ago

I'm afraid your assumption is incorrect JB. I was simply pointing out that we live in NYC. You can find incidents of crime in any city park. The incident i cited happened in what's considered a very safe part of Central Park at 11am. In order to get a complete picture one must of course look at annual statistics or personally experience the area. I was not being "defensive" i was questioning the inherent faulty logic behind allowing one incident to define the safety level of a specific area.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by moxieland
almost 11 years ago

A story like this would have lent more credence to your assertion. Although it is 3yrs old.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/28/wb_as_mccarrencrime_2010_07_09_bk.html

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by greensdale
almost 11 years ago

There's no issue with the park, but I wouldn't use the pool. They should have one of those Shame On You episodes with Arnold Diaz holding a blacklight over the pool. Gross.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by greensdale
almost 11 years ago

>bjw2103
about 4 years ago
ignore this person
report abuse
trinityparent, in my opinion it's very safe. I live on the northside and have to walk through the park to get to the girlfriend in Greenpoint (as does she to get to my place).

bjw, did you and your gf get hitched and move in together?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by LoftyDreams
almost 11 years ago

Hey, all, I was Trinityparent 4 years ago and moved into northside Williamsburg not long after I asked the question. McCarren park now has an active "Friends of" organization (see their facebook page)and is, as Alan Hart pointed out, a bit boring to walk in, but great for sports etc. I joined the gym by the pool(I'm a Senior, so it was $25 a YEAR!) and it's lovely. There are long lines at the pool, and problems as to be expected where neighborhoods abut, but I'm very happy.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment