Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

subletting your coop ....

Started by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago
Discussion about
This may be a bit of an odd question, but I was wondering if it is commonplace (or not unusual, lets say..) for people to sublet their coops sort of under the table if their co-op board is too strict to allow subletting for an extended time... my situation is basically the following: i have a studio and my board only allows subletting for 1 year (however, i think given the proper circumstance they may be flexible for an extended period as well)..would it be terrible for me to even consider finding someone trustworthy (friend of friend, or something) to live in my apt without notifying the board so that i can sublet for more than a year, or hold onto my "official" one-year allowance for another time? thanks so much for your advice, i sincerely appreciate it in advance!
Response by NWT
almost 15 years ago

It won't work. Even in a no-doorman building, the super or others will find out and will feel obliged to mention it to the managing agent or a board member.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NYCMatt
almost 15 years ago

And doing an end-run around the board is a major violation of your proprietary lease, which would make it subject to immediate cacellation and ultimately eviction.

My building is going through that very process right now.

Boards don't piss around with this stuff.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

Fair enough, appreciate the feeback! But what if I end up telling them that a friend had moved in with me, or something like this? Any wiggle room or ways around this sort of dilemma?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

The reason I ask is because I cannot imagine that people don't do these things, if they are put in a situation where they either have to sell in a down market, or just do something in ordre to look out for themselves and get some cash flow while they have to relocate for whatever reason. Just sayin.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by pab77777
almost 15 years ago

I sublet my studio coop to a nice young man last year without telling the board. When I returned 3 months later I found out he sublet to a guy that let 8 other people move in with him. It was nuts. I had to pay lawyers and I still can't get them out. No rent. Can't sell. Never again.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

wow, i'm sorry to hear that. why can't you sell??

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by pab77777
almost 15 years ago

I can't sell because of the squatters

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

hmm i guess its too complicated for me to understand why still,... but sorry to hear that, best of luck. things will work out.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

alternatively.. any ideas about how to "legally" and truthfully sublet? any tips on convincing the board to sublet for a longer duration? or perhaps speak with them privately and do it "off the books" so that its not necessarily public info?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NYCMatt
almost 15 years ago

"But what if I end up telling them that a friend had moved in with me, or something like this? Any wiggle room or ways around this sort of dilemma?"

Most co-op boards would frown on "roommate" situations without the roommate submitting a board package for approval. When you bought, the co-op board approved YOU to live in the apartment, not your friend, your mother, or your Aunt Fannie.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by romary
almost 15 years ago

this city is full of new age Gladys Kravitz's. It's a good idea for about 3 seconds. Someone will puke on you.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10028
almost 15 years ago

yeah, i suppose i am looking for some support for my thoughts :-) but i understand. just hoping the board will somehow then approve a request for a sublet instead of being faced with selling as my only option!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 30yrs_RE_20_in_REO
almost 15 years ago

"Most co-op boards would frown on "roommate" situations without the roommate submitting a board package for approval. When you bought, the co-op board approved YOU to live in the apartment, not your friend, your mother, or your Aunt Fannie."

By law, anyone can take a room mate in NYC for any reason and no one can do anything about it.

nyv10028: it happens all the time, ESPECIALLY if the Coop only allows 1 year leases and it's only for 3 months. The place where I hang my license used to have a separate summer sublet division and from what i could see, just about no one ever went for board approval.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment