Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Any experience with a coop that smells like smoke?

Started by scoots
over 14 years ago
Discussion about
We have a neighbor - not even direct neighbor, she is down/across the hall - who smokes and our bedroom absolutely stinks. Anyone ever dealt with this successfully? Thanks!
Response by 30yrs_RE_20_in_REO
over 14 years ago

Do you have a duct in the bathroom in that bedroom?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by scoots
over 14 years ago

It is actually not the duct - I can smell in in the hallway too. I tested the ducts to get a sense of where it was coming from. I then shared an elevator with a certain (very nice) neighbor from down the hall ... she stunk like old smoke. I am pretty certain she is the cause.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bronxboy
over 14 years ago

I've had the same situation. The only solution: move or hope that your damn smoking neighbors move. . .or get your board to hold apartment owners responsible for making sure no smoke enters either public places or other apartments from the smoke in their apartment.

Ignored comment. Unhide
over 14 years ago

OK, so how do you think the smoke is getting into your unit? From the hallway?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by scoots
over 14 years ago

Yes, from the hall. I even bought one of those 70s snake-like things to use at the bottom of the door (it is a combined apt so that door is never used) Maybe I should somehow seal the door, not sure how without some tacky plastic - any suggestions?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by modern
over 14 years ago

If you never use the door, try this stuff, you spray it in and it expands to seal the space:

http://www.greatstuff.dow.com/

It's like those flat sponges that you add water and they blow up in size. After you spray it in, wipe off any excess showing on the inside door side, before it hardens.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bronxboy
over 14 years ago

You should really consult with your coop board about the problem. If it's coming from the hallway, that's a "quality of life" issue and will greatly diminish the value of your property and the building.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 14 years ago

As 30yrs suggested, the problem might be with exhaust ducts, lack thereof, and/or how they're balanced between the apartments and the hallway.

You should see an exhaust vent in the hallway. Check that it's actually sucking in air. If it's not, and if any exhaust vents in your bath and kitchen are working, then smoke could be drawn out of the neighbor's apartment, through the hallway, and into yours.

You might try getting a smoke stick or whatever it's called and playing around to see where the air's moving.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by manhattanfox
over 14 years ago

I have had the problem with a cigar smoking neighbor. I had the floor cracks sealed and bought room air sanitizers (200) -- ionizes and filters the smoke. Helps -- but still there...

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bronxboy
over 14 years ago

Nothing will eliminate it totally except for the smoker to cease.

Ignored comment. Unhide
over 14 years ago

For an active door (which I'm fairly sure you have at least one of) look at www.zerointernational.com for various acitve selaers (I have a drop-down gate from them on teh bottom of my doors as well as passive sealers on the other 3 sides.

Although even if you never use the door, you may get into trouble sealing (as in making it inoperable) it fire-code wise.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by scoots
over 14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with an air purifier? If yes - any specific brands suggested? I am also definitely going to try the active sealers, thanks 30 Years.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ph41
over 14 years ago

The Sharper Image ones did work - but they went out of business. Mmy husband once let 4 cigar smokers indulge in the living room - I had two of the units in there and they did get rid of the smell (but he never did that again).

Don't know about other ones, but the nice thing about those was that they were silent, relatively inconspicuos,and didn't use filters.

I am sure there are others on the market that would help you.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by redrover921
over 14 years ago

Best machines for odor removal beats any spray or Sharper Image machine are ozone. Hotels use them and they're nothing short of amazing. Both companies have 30 day trials, one has a restocking fee, the other doesn't. It leaves an ozone like smell that dissipates and you can open the window to get rid of the ozone odor more quickly, it not it just dissipates on its own .

http://odorfreemachines.com/

http://www.air-zone.com/models.html#400800

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ph41
over 14 years ago

redrover - wasn't there some question a few years ago about the safety of the machines using ozone? Not safety per se, but the breathing of the machine generated ozone?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by redrover921
over 14 years ago

ph41,

there's some info on the site that adresses this. I don't remember what I read, its been awhile.

FWIW, you aren't in the room when you're running the machine and it only takes about 10 minutes to remove the odors.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment